Applications & Permits
The New Haven Planning Department now offers permit applications with digital signature fields. To access this functionality please right-click the link for the application type that you need to use and click "Save Link As" to save it to your computer. You may also choose to click on the link and then right-click on the document after it opens and choose "Save As". When you have filled out the application you may email it to the Planning Department. Please be sure to attach your plot plan.
Fee Schedule & Payments
At this time we do not offer online payments but you may bring or mail your application fee to the Planning Department Office at:
Checks should be made payable to the City of New Haven.
Residential ILP & Certificate of Compliance
- Residential (PDF) - A Residential Improvement Location Permit (ILP) is required for a variety of residential project types including, but not limited to:
- New home construction
- Room additions
- Sheds over 200 square feet
- Some fences
- Residential Certificate of Compliance Request Form (PDF) - This form is required when a builder or contractor would like to request that the Planning Department issue a Certificate of Compliance for a completed residential project.
Commercial ILP & Certificate of Compliance
- Commercial ILP (PDF) - For small projects less than 1,000 square feet not subject to Site Plan Review.
- Site Plan Review Application Packet (PDF) - For commercial projects over 1,000 square feet.
- Sign (PDF) - An Improvement Location Permit is required for a variety of sign types. Please review section 157.409 of the New Haven Unified Development Ordinance for more information.
- Rezoning (PDF) - Petitions to the Plan Commission and City Council for rezoning of property.
- Primary Plat (PDF) - Petitions to the Plan Commission for approval of a Primary Subdivision Plat.
- Secondary Plat (PDF) - Petitions to the Plan Commission for approval of a Secondary Subdivision Plat.
- Secondary Development Plan (PDF) - Petitions to the Plan Commission for approval of a Secondary Development Plan.
- Variance (PDF) - Petitions to the Board of Zoning Appeals for use and developmental standards variances.
- Special Use (PDF) - Petitions to the Board of Zoning Appeals for a Special Use.
- Administrative Appeal (PDF) - Petitions to the Board of Zoning Appeals for appealing an administrative decision.