The Official Website of the City of New Haven

Site Tools

Here you can find quick information about the City of New Haven.

New Haven was platted by Henry Burgess, and was incorporated as a town under Indiana law in 1866. It became incorporated as a city in 1963. Several homes built by the Burgess family remain in New Haven. A Burgess home on Summit Street is the oldest brick structure in Jefferson Township.  Henry Burgess’ son-in-law, E.W. Green built a large frame Greek Revival house on the hill above what is now Central Lutheran School. Another Burgess structure remains at the corner of Summit and Eben Streets.

New Haven’s history has been shaped significantly by transportation. It was located along the Wabash and Erie Canal (the Gronauer Lock of the canal was unearthed during construction of Interstate 469 in the late 1980s, and is now on display at the Indiana State Museum in Indianapolis). Later, the city was served by the Wabash and Nickel Plate and Railroads.  Norfolk Southern Railway maintains a significant operation in New Haven today.  (U.S. 24 and U.S. 30 and (the historic Lincoln Highway), as well as Interstate 469, all serve residents.

The historic French settlement of Besancon is on the eastern edge of New Haven along the Lincoln Highway.  Saint Louis Catholic Church at Besancon is now on the National Register of Historic Places.

The City of New Haven offers the best of both worlds as a small, “front porch” community located in Allen County and sharing a border with Fort Wayne, the second largest city in the State of Indiana.   Because of its proximity to Fort Wayne, New Haven offers accessibility to all of the attractions of a big city while maintaining the low cost of living and the high quality of life that can only be found in a small town.

Read More
Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
Police Activity Log
12am - 12am
There are no career positions available at this time.

Click below to view our monthly newsletters.

View City Newsletters
Board of Public Works and Safety
Quick Links
Code Enforcement
    Quick Links
    Police Department
    Utility Office
          Can I pay my property taxes at City Hall?

          Property taxes are billed from the Allen County Auditor's Office. Please contact them at 260-449-7693 for payment options.

          What is the phone number for the New Haven Licence Branch?

          Their phone number is 260-749-5178.

          Code Enforcement
          I live in a subdivision with a Home Owners Association. Can the City enforce Association by-laws?

          No.  If someone in the subdivision is violating a provision of the Association by-laws, it would be up to the Association to initiate legal action.

          Can I park my semi-tractor or recreational vehicle on the street in front of my house?

          No.  Commercial motor vehicles, recreational vehicles, watercraft or trailers may not be parked on any street or alley within the City of New Haven except during such time as is reasonably necessary to make a bona fide pick up or delivery.

          How do I know if my complaint was acted upon?

          If contact information was provided, we strive to contact complainants to let them know their complaint was received or to gather further information. If you’ve called in a complaint and do not see results within a reasonable period of time, please call our office again.  We will gladly inform you of the status of your complaint.

          How do I report a violation?

          You may either contact us by calling (260) 748-7061 or by emailing at code@newhaven.test

          Complaints are handled in a confidential, courteous manner.  Code Enforcement will first verify the violation and then notify the property owner and explain the issue.  Property owners are then given time to remedy the violation.  While most property owners comply after the first notification, those who don’t receive additional notifications and/or fines.  In addition, some violations may be abated by the City at the owner’s expense.

          My neighbor leaves his trash can at the curb all week. Is this a violation?

          Yes. Trash containers must not be placed at the pickup location earlier than 4 p.m. of the day preceding the collection. It must be removed from the pickup location by 6 a.m. the day following collection.  Trash containers shall be stored either inside the garage or on the side of the house a minimum of four (4) feet behind the front of the house when not at the pickup location.

          The house next door is abandoned and the yard is overgrown. Can anything be done to clean it up?

          Yes.  The City of New Haven Code prohibits debris, rubbish, trash and weeds/grass that are in excess of nine (9) inches in height on any lot. 

          Engineering Department
          Can I offer suggestions to INDOT for Improvements on State Roads?


          Below is the link that will take you to the draft INDOT Long Range Transportation Plan:

          INDOT Long Range Transportation Plan-Draft

          You may also find additional information at the home page for INDOT:



          Can I offer suggestions to INDOT for Improvements on State Roads?


          Below is the link that will take you to the draft INDOT Long Range Transportation Plan:

          INDOT Long Range Transportation Plan-Draft

          You may also find additional information at the home page for INDOT:



          Can I report a street light being out?

          The street lights in New Haven are maintained by the electric companies.  If there is a street light out in your area, please contact the electric company directly and report the issue.  I&M and Paulding Putnam are the two companies that provice electricity to New Haven.  If the light is on the Highway (ie. US 469, SR930, US 24, US 30) INDOT needs to be notified.  If it is a decorative street lamp in the downtown area, the New Haven Public Works will need to be contacte.


          Contact information:

          I&M                           (800)311-4634    or    I&M Online

          Paulding Putnam     (800) 686-2357    or   PP Online

          INDOT                      (855) 463-6848   

          NH Public Works      (260) 748-7056

          Do I need to be bonded with the City of New Haven?


          Whether work is being done in the City's right-of-way or if work is being done on the City sewer or water lines, a bond is required.

          For sewer work, use this link 

          For working in the City right-of-way, use this link

          What are the Bridges in New Haven's Inventory?

          New Haven Bridge Inventory

          What are the Truck Routes for the City of New Haven?

          Truck Routes

          What does the Engineering Department do?

          The City of New Haven Engineering Department is responsible for the planning, coordination and the preparation of plans, specifications, estimates, bid procedures and other design matters for public works construction and improvement projects, including street resurfacing and construction, storm drainage systems, sanitary sewers, and water line projects.

          The Engineering Department also manages other related engineering activities such as surveying, mapping, subdivision and plat review; prepares and monitors grant applications; provides engineering review for developers, citizens, agencies and others; provides engineering assistance in the operation, construction, maintenance and repair activities involving water transmission, storage and distribution, sewage collection and conveyance; assists in providing estimates and forecasts for long range planning and provides investigations for public works functions; investigates citizen complaints relating to public works activities.

          The Engineering Department also prepares written and verbal reports as requested; prepares and monitors the engineering department budget, supervises subordinate employees and attends City Council and other public meetings as directed.

          Who do I contact for a street light that is not working properly?

          The street lights in New Haven are maintained by the electric companies.  If there is a street light out in your area, please contact the electric company directly and report the issue.  I&M and Paulding Putnam are the two companies that provice electricity to New Haven.  If the light is on the Highway (ie. US 469, SR930, US 24, US 30) INDOT needs to be notified.  If it is a decorative street lamp in the downtown area, the New Haven Public Works will need to be contacte.


          Contact information:

          I&M                           (800)311-4634    or     I&M Online  

          Paulding Putnam     (800) 686-2357    or    PP Online

          INDOT                      (855) 463-6848   

          NH Public Works      (260) 748-7056

          How often should I change the batteries in my smoke detectors?

          If your detector is powered solely by the AC current in your house, there is no battery to change. However, if your detector is battery powered or has a battery backup power source, it is recommended you change it at least once a year. Pick a birthday or memorable day, such as New Year's Day to ensure you remember this change.

          Are all of the firefighters also EMTs?

          All of the Career (full time) Firefighters are cross trained as either EMTs or Paramedics. Our volunteer staff  (paid on-call/part time) are certified First Responders, EMT’s and Paramedics.

          How Long Do Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors Last?

          Typical homeowners will put the detectors up, see them hanging there on the wall, and feel safe. They don’t give them a second thought — except for those annoying times the low battery chirp goes off in the middle of the night.

          Test your smoke detectors monthly and if they’re battery-operated, you need to change those batteries at least once a year. Many people change their smoke detector batteries on New Year’s Day or some other holiday to help them remember. Carbon monoxide detector batteries need to be replaced every six months (a great time to do this is during daylight saving time when you’re turning your clocks back or forward). When replacing the batteries, vacuum the inside of the detectors to remove dirt, dust, and debris, which can interfere with the working components.

          Most smoke alarms have a life span between eight and 10 years, and again, replace the batteries every year. A smoke detector with a titanium battery or a hard-wired smoke detector can last 10 years, at which time you would just replace the whole unit. The recommendation is to replace them every five years because their ability to detect carbon monoxide is questionable after that point.

          How can I get a copy of a fire report?

          There is a small fee for a fire report.  Contact the Fire Chief at 260-493-7500

          How can I get one of the blue reflective address signs?

          Simply call the Fire Dept. at 260-493-7500 and request a sign be made.  There is a small $10.00 fee to assist with cost of materials.

          How do I schedule a tour of the fire station?

          Please call 260-493-7500 to schedule a tour with a date and time and who will be attending.  New Haven Adams Twp Fire Dept. will do their best to accommodate your request.

          How many smoke detectors do I need in my home?

          According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), minimum protection requires a smoke   detector outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement. On floors without bedrooms, detectors should be installed in or near living areas such as dens, living rooms, or family room.
          Be sure everyone sleeping in your home can hear your smoke detectors' alarms even with bedroom doors closed. If not, or if any residents are hearing- impaired, install additional detectors inside bedrooms. For the hearing impaired, there are smoke detectors that flash a strobe light in addition to sounding an audible alarm.
          For extra protection, NFPA suggests installing additional detectors in dining rooms, furnace rooms, utility rooms, and hallways.

          Smoke detectors are not recommended for kitchens, bathrooms, or garages – where there are cooking fumes or steam.  Attics and other unheated spaces - where humidity and temperature changes might affect a detector's operation.

          I would like to have a recreational fire on my property, is this allowed?

          Please read through the Open Burn Regulations 

          My smoke detector is chirping, what does that mean?

          Most modern smoke detectors will chirp to alert you the batteries are low, you should replace the batteries and test your smoke detector. Smoke detectors can be purchased at any hardware or large commercial department store.

          What if I smell Gas in my home?

          You will need to get out of the house and then call 9-1-1 for the Fire Department from outside of the house or from a neighbor's house. The use of a phone could cause the gas to ignite if you called from inside the house.

          What is Subscription EMS? How do I become a member?

           Subscription EMS provides revenue to help operate the system without raising tax rates.  Annual membership fee is only $55.00 and it covers you, your spouse and any dependent children living with you.  Call 260-749-1235 to request an application or download it from our document center. 

          What is the difference between an EMT and a paramedic?

          Both are certifications that are provided by the State.

          EMT certification includes bandaging, splinting, basic airway support, assisting with certain medications, CPR and the use of automated external defibrillators. A Paramedic Course is an additional intensive program. This additional training allows the paramedic to perform advanced procedures such as inserting a breathing tube, starting IV lines and giving several different medications.

          What other responsibilities do firefighters have other than fighting fires?

          Emergency calls represents only about fifteen percent of the work of a typical fire department in New Haven. The number of residential and commercial fires has steadily decreased over the years due to a variety of factors including improvements in construction, a greater public awareness of the risk factors leading to fires and a significant reduction in smoking nationwide. Fires, however, are only some of the emergencies to which the Fire Department responds. Nearly eighty percent of the Fire Department's emergency responses are, in fact, calls for medical aid, including illness/accidents at home and work, and injuries resulting from vehicle crashes. Other calls for emergency response involve hazardous materials releases, response to fire alarms and other calls for public assistance. Firefighters also spend much of their time maintaining equipment, doing routine public safety inspections for businesses and rental housing, training for all types of emergency responses and filling out the reports and paperwork associated with these activities.

          What type of smoke detector should I have in my home?

          There are two types of alarms - ionization and photoelectric. They operate on different principles and therefore may respond differently to various conditions.

          Some advantages to each type are set out below:


          Fastest type to respond to flaming fires
          Lowest cost and most commonly sold
          Some models have a hush or temporary silence feature that allows silencing without removing the battery
          Some models are available with a long life battery


          Fastest type to respond to slow smoldering fires and white or grey smoke
          Less prone to nuisance alarms from cooking
          Photoelectric smoke alarms may respond slightly faster to smoldering fires, while ionization alarms respond slightly faster to flaming fires. Since you can't predict the type of fire that will occur, it is difficult to recommend which is best. Both alarms will detect all types of fires that commonly occur in the home, and several manufactures make a "dual sensor" model, combining the technology of both models into one device. Installing both types of smoke alarms, or a combination unit, in your home can enhance fire safety, and increase your chance of survival by up to 50%.

          Where do I discard expired fire extinguishers?

          We recommend you call a local fire extinguisher company.

          Who decides what hospital that I go to?

          You do. If you require care and transport it is always your choice as to what hospital you are transported to. Based on the type of illness or injury that you might have we may suggest a location that focuses on that specialty or the closest immediate care. We will inform you as to why we may suggest that specific hospital.

          Who do I call if I have questions regarding my EMS bill?

          Please call 260-749-1235 for assistance.

          Who do I contact if my child is playing with fire?

          Unfortunately some children will show an interest in fire and fire setting. Because this is a serious issue that can have severe consequences that children might not realize, we encourage parents to become involved as soon as possible. Early intervention is extremely important and may save a life and property from a fire started by a child playing with fire.  Contact the Fire Chiefs office at 260-493-7500. 

          Why do I sometimes see a fire engine following the ambulance?

          Fire engines respond with ambulances to provide extra personnel or equipment at the emergency scene. The information obtained from the 911 call helps determine if the engine might be needed. Depending on the patient’s needs or location 2 people aren’t always enough to provide the best care. Sometimes the engine crew arrives to find out that they are not needed. If this is the case they return to service for the next call. Better to be there and not needed, than be needed and not there.

          Human Resources
          Can I submit a resume?

          You may either attach or cut-and paste a resume into your application.  Please note a resume will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.  Also, please note that some positions require a resume along with the application.

          Do you accept employment application for positions that are not open?

          No.  We only accept employment applications for current posted job vacancies

          Does the City of New Haven offer internships?

          Yes, there are non-paid internship opportunities available for high school and college students throughout various departments.   Please call 260.748.7019 for further information.

          How can I be sure my online application was received?

          After you have submitted your online application you will receive an online confirmation notice. 

          How do I apply for seasonal employment?

          The New Haven Adams Township Parks & Recreation Department has a seasonal program in the spring.  If interested in the seasonal program, call 260.749.2212 for details.

          How do I apply?

          Applications are accepted through our career portal. 

          Follow this link to see available opportunities. 

          Career Portal

          Please note that Public Safety positions will require the completion of a secondary application. 

          If you can not access the career portal please contact Human Resources at 260-748-7019

          How does the application process work?

          Applicants will complete their applications online from any computer with Internet access. After the closing date Human Resources will screen all of the applications.  Please note that a posting stops accepting applications at 12:01 a.m. on the closing date. Therefore applications must be completed online and submitted by midnight on the day before the posted closing date. The hiring department or Human Resources will contact the applicants that will be interviewed.

          If I miss the deadline – can I still apply?

          As with any position, once a closing date has passed, no applications will be accepted or considered. 

          What benefits does the City offer to its employees?

          City workers receive the following benefits:

          • Paid vacation
          • Paid holidays
          • Paid Floating Birthday Holiday
          • Five paid personal holidays
          • Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits
          • Pension plan
          • Long Term Disability
          Mayor's Office
          How Does the Mayor Get Involved with the City?

          ▪ Attends special events including – Mayor’s Roundtable, media events, groundbreaking and ribbon cutting ceremonies, award ceremonies and other public events. 

          ▪ Issues Proclamations for Special People, Days & Events.

          ▪ Serve as guest speaker for various meetings for groups.

          ▪ Interacts with groups and organizations throughout the city:

                      - Senior Citizens                     - Youth Organizations

                      - Church groups                      - School Groups

                      - American Legion                  - Non-Profit Organizations

                      - Power House                        - Kiwanis – Navy & Lions Clubs

                                                                      -  and many other clubs

          Powers and Duties of the Mayor
          • Enforce the ordinances of the City and statutes of the State.
          • Provide a statement of finances and general condition of the city to the common council at least once a year.
          • Provide information to City Council regarding city affairs.
          • Recommend to City Council any action Mayor considers proper.
          • Call special meeting of City Council when necessary.
          • Supervise subordinate officers.
          • Ensure efficient government of the city.
          • Approve or veto ordinances, orders and resolutions of the legislative body.
          • Presents the city budget for Council review.
          • Appoint heads of departments, employees of the departments, and many board and commission members.
          • Suspend or remove officers or employees appointed by the Mayor.
          • Fix the salaries of all appointed officials or employees appointed (except police, firefighters and appointees  of the Clerk-Treasurer.)
          • Conduct monthly meetings of department heads, adopt rules and regulations for individual departments and arrange for unannounced audits of accounts for departments.
          • Fill vacancies in city offices when required.
          • Sign all bonds, deeds and contracts of the city and all licenses issued by the city.
          • Perform wedding ceremonies.
          • Serve as presiding officer of the City Council and only votes in the event of a tie. (3rd class cities)
          • Mayor appoints the City Attorney who manages the city’s legal affairs.
          • Serve as Chairman of the Board of Public Works & Safety.
          • As Chairman, the Mayor appoints Fire Dept. Chief, Police Chief and City Engineer.
          • Serve as Chairman of the Fire Governing Body.
          What does the Mayor do?

          The mayor is the city executive responsible for the day-to-day operations of all city services. The mayor is also responsible for working with the elected leaders of various government units in the interest of New Haven residents. The mayor is the presiding officer of the New Haven City Council.

          What is the Mayor’s involvement at the State level?

          The mayor is actively involved at the state level as New Haven’s ambassador. The mayor meets with state representatives on a regular basis to ensure that New Haven’s interests are being addressed at the state level. While the state legislature is in session, Mayor McDonald spends time speaking with elected leaders at the State House. The mayor makes several trips to testify before committees and lobbies for positive legislation for our community.

          What is the Mayor’s responsibility in Economic Development?

          The Mayor oversees the Planning and Economic Development Department and its efforts to attract new employers and businesses to the community. New Haven works in cooperative effort with the Fort Wayne/Allen County Economic Development Alliance, which is an independent office marketing the Allen County area to prospective employers. The New Haven economic development professionals work closely with the Alliance on many projects each year and the relationship has proven to be very successful.

          Many residents have expressed an interest and desire for a wider variety of stores and restaurants in New Haven. Although the Mayor doesn’t have the ability to bring any particular business to the city, Mayor McDonald is working diligently to promote residential growth and bolstering our demographics. By strengthening our population, raising our per capita income and investing in our infrastructure, New Haven will become more attractive to the business and employment opportunities our residents want to have.

          Planning Department
          I am a resident and am thinking of improving my property. Do I need a permit?

          Residential Improvement Location Permits are generally required for projects that involve constructing, enlarging, moving, or in some cases maintaining a structure or building.  Permits are typically required for sheds (over 144 sq.ft.), garages, decks, swimming pools, and fences (see the fence regulation handout for more information).  In order to process your permit you will need to submit a completed permit application, plot plan, and permit fee.

          Before starting a project please contact the New Haven Planning Department at (260) 748-7040 to determine whether a permit will be required from the city prior to construction. 

          I am having a new home built and need to close on the property but the home is not complete. Will I still be able to get a Certificate of Compliance?

          If the project includes improvements that are not complete and the applicant needs to obtain a Certificate of Compliance he or she may fill out a Certificate of Compliance Request Form.  The form includes a section which will allow the applicant to identify unfinished improvements such as driveway installation or lawn seeding and specify an anticipated date of completion.  This document is typically used in situations where the property owner needs verification that a financed improvement (ex: closing on a new home) is in compliance with local zoning laws. 

          What about Commercial and Industrial Projects?

          The City of New Haven requires that an Improvement Location Permit be issued for new construction as well as expansion of existing facilities.  All commercial and industrial projects are routed to various reviewing agencies for comments prior to issuance.  Staff recommends that applicants schedule a pre-application meeting to discuss the project and submissions requirements.   

          Commercial and Industrial Development Process Map

          What types of inspections will be required during the construction of my project?

          Typically the Planning Department will conduct an inspection once the project is complete.  Other inspections may be necessary from agencies such as the Allen County Building Department while the project is under construction.  Commercial and industrial projects may also require inspections from other reviewing agencies such as the New Haven / Adams Township Fire Department or the New Haven Engineering Department. 

          Please contact the Planning Department at (260) 748-7040 to notify staff when your project is complete and someone will conduct a site inspection to verify compliance with zoning laws.  For residential improvements it generally will not necessary for the applicant to be present during an inspection as staff will only inspect of the footprint of the improvement.

          What types of permits does the New Haven Planning Department issue?

          An Improvement Location Permit (ILP) is a permit issued by the Planning Department acknowledging compliance with all land use regulations administered by the City of New Haven, Indiana. This permit is often required before certain building permits can be issued by the Allen County Building Department.

          Where can I find zoning information for properties within New Haven's planning jurisdiction?

          New Haven's Zoning Maps are available online using the Zoning and Floodplain Map Viewer.  

          Who should I contact regarding building permits and building codes?

          Chapter 153 of the New Haven Land Usage Codes designates the Allen County Building Department to administer and enforce building codes within the city limits.

          For more information regarding building codes or building permit requirements please contact the Allen County Building Department at (260) 449-7131

          Police Department
          Do you have Code Enforcement?

          Yes, the city of New Haven has already established itself as a place you want to live. City codes are in place to define standards so that all property owners can rely on the safety, cleanliness, and maintenance of their neighborhoods.

          Sometimes, Code Enforcement personnel are in a position to facilitate the remedy of problems that adversely affect neighborhoods and individual property owners.

          This deparment is dedicated to maintaining New Haven as a desirable place to live

          Do you have a Canine Program?
          Since 1981, the streets of New Haven have been patrolled by four legged partners called police service work dogs. The New Haven Police Department K-9 team currently consists of two (2) Officers who are trained dog handlers and two (2) certified police dogs. All canines were trained locally by certified police work dog master trainers.
          Our canines assist patrol officers with apprehension of suspects, search and rescue of missing or lost persons, locating articles, alerting to illegal drugs, and officer protection. Our police service work dogs have proven themselves invaluable to the mission of crime fighting and community safety.
          This team relies heavily on outside donations to purchase equipment.
          How can we reduce crime?

          The ideal goal in the battle against crime is preventing crime all together.

          While we realize that crime cannot be totally eliminated, the New Haven Police Department acknowledges the importance of educating the public on the best ways to avoid becoming a victim of crime.  

          The following are some of the ways that the New Haven Police Department helps to educate the public in crime prevention.

          • Starting up and working to maintain Neighborhood Watch Programs in the neighborhoods.
          • Establishing Neighborhood Officer Liaisons with associations.
          • Presenting Senior Safety Programs to protect against swindle and scams.
          • Publishing articles and presenting prevention tips (e.g. holiday safety/home security/auto thefts) in the local papers and on television stations.
          • Provides Robbery and Theft prevention training to local banks and businesses.
          • School visits to discuss the consequences of committing crimes such as stealing and shoplifting.
          • Provides home checks to residents that will be gone on business or vacation.

          All of our officers are well versed in crime prevention and willing to help any resident in need of crime prevention advice.

          For reviews on home security systems:

          Alarm and Security Systems guide:

          Public Works Department
          Does the City offer free compost to citizens?

          The City has free compost available at the Utility Maintenance Facility at
          the dead end of Summit Street. It can be loaded for you during business
          hours or hand loaded by yourself after hours. 

          How are sanitary sewer mains cleaned?

          The utility department uses a machine called an aquatech to jet the mains
          with high water pressure. This machine is also used to unblock any
          obstruction in the line that may cause a backup. 

          How can I turn water off to my home or business?

          Almost every home or business has a main water shut off valve, usually
          located by a hot water heater or basement. If water needs shut off at the
          curb box please contact the water office at 748-7050. 

          How do I report a pothole?

          To report a pothole please call the utility office at 748-7056 and a crew will
          be dispatched out to fix the issue. 

          How do I schedule a sump pump inspection?

          Sump pump inspections can be made by calling the Utility department at

          How does the city take care of snow removal?

          During a snow event the Utility Dept. will dispatch crews to plow additions
          when there is 3 inches of snow or more. When this is the case main roads
          will be plowed first, when clear crews will move into additions and side
          streets and alleys. Crews will try to rotate what additions and side streets
          get done first and last throughout the snow season to accommodate the

          How is the water checked for quality and how can I view the results?

          Water is checked weekly at various sample sites throughout the city.
          Samples are sent to a lab for testing with results faxed back within a day. All
          results are posted in the Consumer Confidence Report that is published

          How long will my water service be out during a water main break?

          Depending on the severity of the break a customer could be without water
          for a few hours up to a full day. 

          What can I do to prevent sewer back up's?

          To help prevent sewer main or lateral issues please do not dispose of
          household grease, diapers, wipes or anything other than toilet paper into

          What happens if there is a water main break?

          If there is a water main break in your area there will be a temporary
          stoppage in your water service until the repair has been completed. 

          What if I have a water leak in my home?

          Most water leaks occur from a running toilet. Once all toilets have been
          checked and you still believe there is a leak, please contact the water office
          at 748-7050 to set up a service appointment. 

          What is a backflow preventer and do I need one?

          A backflow preventer can prevent waste water backups into a home due to
          the municipal system becoming fully charged due to an event such as heavy
          rain, or a blockage in the sewer main. You may be in need of this device if
          you have had flooding issues in the past, live in a tri-Ievel or home with a
          basement, or an area prone to backups. Please call a local plumber for
          more information on installation and maintenance of backflow preventers 

          When is leaf season?

          Leaf season runs from late October to the end of December. The season is
          broken down by 2 sections in the city with multiple pick-ups throughout the

          Where should I put my leaves to be picked up?

          Leaves should be raked in a long tight row along the edge of the street for
          pick-up. Please keep leaves away from mail boxes, utility poles or traffic
          signs as crews will not be able to pick leaves up around these obstacles. If needed they may be put out in the street just off your curb line. 

          Who should I contact if my sewer is backed up?

          If you are experiencing a sewer backup please call the utility office at 748-
          7050 and a service crew will come and inspect the sanitary sewer main in
          your area. They will contact you and let you know if it is the city's problem
          or the home owners problem and advise you on the situation. 

          Who should I contact to report a possible water main break?

          Potential water main breaks should be reported to the Utility office at 748-

          Why do I have low water pressure?

          A number of things can cause low water pressure check faucet screens for
          blockage, make sure valves are completely in the on position. 

          Why does my water smell funny, or is cloudy?

          There are various reasons for strange smelling or cloudy which is not
          uncommon. If you run your water for a few minutes this will usually remedy
          the problem. 

          Will the City pick up branches and debris after a storm?

          After a storm event the Utility Dept will pick up branches and debris if it is
          placed at the curb of your property. Crews will not go into yards to pick up
          any debris. 

          Utility Office
          How can I pay my monthly utility bill?

          Payments Options:

          Payments can be mailed to:

          City of New Haven Utilities

          PO Box 570

          New Haven, IN 46774

          Payments can be brought to:

          815 Lincoln Hwy. East

          New Haven, IN 46774

          Drop box:

          Located on the east side of the parking lot of City Hall


          By credit or debit card. The following cards are accepted: VISA/MasterCard/American Express/Discover. A convenience fee is charged by the card processing company.

          Telephone payment:

          Call 1-866-670-3036 and pay by credit or debit card. A convenience fee is charged by the card processing company. 

          Auto Debit:

          Automatic payment from your checking or savings account on the 7th of every month with no hassles and no late fees.  See Document/Forms 


          How do I start new service for water, waste water and/or storm water?

          The New Haven utility process to start water service for a new customer requires gathering information to record on the "Request for Service":

          Property Address

          Name of property owner

          Date of Birth

          Telephone number

          Purchase or Rental property

          Date of closing/date of posession

          A deposit is collected after closing has occurred , usually within the first week of service. (This deposit is refunded to the customer after 24 months of on time payments.)

          New customers need to set up their trash service through the contracted provider. Currently, Republic Services (  holds the city contract for all residential trash and recycling. They can be reached at 1-800-876-9001. This service is NOT billed by the City of New Haven but directly by Republic Services to the customer.


          How do I stop my water, waste water and/or storm water service?

          The outgoing customer, or seller, is required to call to request a final read date so water service can be taken out of their name.  This date usually coincides with the new customer's move in date. At this time a forwarding address is added to the account for mailing the final bill. If a deposit is still remaining on the seller's account, the deposit will be refunded after the final bill has been paid to a $0 balance.

          The seller will also need to contact the trash provider to stop their trash service and billing, Republic Services, 1-800-876-9001.

          Why is my water off?

          Water could be off for the following reasons:

          * water main break


          *an account was never established



          Engineering Technician
          Engineering Department
          Alex Bourke
          Facilities & Improvements Director
          Parks and Recreation
          Andy Laughlin
          Planning Department
          Economic Development
          Brian Yoh
          District Chief
          Carl Bradtmueller
          Superintendent of Utilities
          Public Works Department
          Dave Jones
          Director of GIS
          GIS Department
          Dave Schaab
          (260) 748-7044
          Code Enforcement Officer
          Code Enforcement
          Dave Shanebrook
          (260) 748-7061
          Mayor’s Executive Assistant
          Mayor's Office
          DebAnne Smith
          Assistant Chief
          Garry Marquardt
          Chief of Police
          Police Department
          Jeffrey J. McCracken
          Administrative Assistant
          Engineering Department
          Jenna Jensen
          Utility Office Manager
          Utility Office
          Jill Cain
          Fire Chief
          Josh Hale
          Engineering Department
          Keith Schlegel
          Utility Office Clerk
          Utility Office
          Kim Hoeppner
          Human Resource Director
          Human Resources
          M. Elizabeth Hoffman SHRM-CP
          Utility Office Clerk
          Utility Office
          Margarett Driver
          District Chief
          Mark Hoeppner
          Parks and Recreation
          Mike Clendenen
          Administrative Assistant
          Planning Department
          Remae Meredith
          Administrative Assistant
          Economic Development
          Renae Meredith
          Administrative Assistant
          Shawna Gunder
          Utility Office Clerk
          Utility Office
          Tammy Schoel
          Assistant Chief
          Tom Vachon