Applications & Permits

The New Haven Planning Department now offers permit applications with digital signature fields. To access this functionality please right-click the link for the application type that you need to use and click "Save Link As" to save it to your computer. You may also choose to click on the link and then right-click on the document after it opens and choose "Save As". When you have filled out the application you may email it to the Planning Department. Please be sure to attach your plot plan.


At this time we do not offer online payments but you may bring or mail your application fee to the Planning Department Office at:
New Haven Department of Planning
815 Lincoln Highway E
New Haven, IN 46774

Checks should be made payable to the City of New Haven. If you click on the link the application will open in your web browser and the digital signature field will not be available. However, you may still fill out the form electronically and print it when complete. 

Documents & Descriptions

  • Residential (PDF) - A Residential Improvement Location Permit (ILP) is required for a variety of residential project types including, but not limited to:
    • Decks
    • Garages
    • New home construction
    • Porches
    • Room additions
    • Sheds over 144 square feet
    • Some fences
  • Residential Certificate of Compliance Request Form (PDF) - This form is required when a builder or contractor would like to request that the Planning Department issue a Certificate of Compliance for a completed residential project.
  • Non-Residential (PDF):
    • Commercial
    • Industrial
    • Institutional
    • Multi-Family
    • Other similar project types
  • Sign (PDF) - An Improvement Location Permit is required for a variety of sign types. Please review section 151.145 of the New Haven Zoning Code for more information.  

Land Use Petitions

  • Rezoning (PDF) - Property owners have the ability to request that the symbols of the New Haven Zoning Map be changed in order to rezone areas within New Haven. The Plan Commission reviews rezoning requests and makes recommendations to City Council after holding a public hearing.