About the Award
New Haven has a long and proud tradition of volunteer service. Now more than ever, volunteers are renewing their commitment to help others and make new connections that bring us closer together as families, neighbors and communities. Recognizing and honoring volunteers sets a standard of service, encourages a sustained commitment to civic participation, and inspires others to make service a part of their lives. The Bill Fritcha Memorial Award recognizes individuals who have achieved a certain standard measured by the number of hours of service over a 12 month period, or cumulative hours based over the course of a lifetime. The Bill Fritcha Memorial Award was established in 2011 to recognize the valuable contributions volunteers are making in our communities and encourage more people to serve. Mayor Terry McDonald created the Bill Fritcha Memorial Award as a way to thank and honor individuals by their demonstrated commitment and example; and to inspire others to engage in volunteer service.
There are three basic considerations:
1. Civic engagement
2. Service to the community with humility
3. Acts of kindness unknown to most
1. The Selection Committee shall review all nominations received and will review levels of civic engagement, service to the community with humility; and acts of kindness unknown to most. Is there anything outstanding or unique about the nominee and his or her character?
2. The Selection Committee will review the impact on the community. Public service is about serving people and communities. Has the nominee addressed important issues facing New Haven? Has the nominee made a measurable impact?
This award is made through nominations. The nomination process shall consist of a letter of endorsement for the nominee. The letter will need to include:
1. Relationship to the nominee;
2. Civic engagement list examples of service to the New Haven community with humility
3. What impact have their volunteer efforts made in New Haven (list specific examples)
4. Examples of acts of kindness that are unknown to most (be specific)
Deadline for Submissions
All letters of endorsement for nominee submissions must be received by 12:00 noon on February 28th of each year for consideration.
For questions, please contact the Mayors Office at 260.748.7072.
1. Request a Nomination Form by contacting the Mayors Office at 260.748.7070.
2. Forward an email requesting a form to Deb-Anne Smith in the Mayors Office at email@example.com
3. Visit City Hall and pick up an Application in the Mayors Office (2nd floor).
4. Download the Nomination Form from the .