You must live inside New Haven City limits to obtain a permit at the New Haven Police Department.
Firearms Permit Application Process
Note: Please use a desktop computer to complete each step, mobile devices and tablets are not set up to complete the steps properly.
- Complete the online application. At the end of the application, you will receive directions on how to schedule electronic fingerprinting (step 2) and payment of state fee.
- Schedule electronic fingerprinting through MorphoTrust.
- After your fingerprints are complete, bring your Application Number and receipt from MorphoTrust to your local law enforcement agency for approval and local fee payment.
- Your application will be electronically transferred to ISP for final review. If your application is approved, your permit will be sent to you via U.S. Mail. If your application is rejected, you will be notified via U.S. Mail and will receive instructions on how to file an appeal.
Handgun Licensing Fee Schedule
|License Type||Local Fee||State Fee|
|Five Year Personal Protection||$10/$5 Refundable||$30|
|Lifetime Personal Protection / No Current License||$50/$30 Refundable||$75|
|Lifetime Personal Protection / Current Valid Indiana License||$40/$30 Refundable||$60|
|Duplicate||Not Provided in Law||$20|
|Retired Law Enforcement Officer||Not Provided in Law||Fee Exempt|
|Retired Corrections Officer||Not Provided in Law||Fee Exempt|
|Firearms Dealer||Not Provided in Law||$60|
Note: A portion of the local fee is refundable if a license is not issued. The entire state fee is refundable if no license is issued.
All new license applications incur a $11.95 fee for IDEMIA Electronic Fingerprinting. Additionally, all license applications incur an IN.gov processing fee that varies according to the license type.
Local Fee Information
Please note that local fees cannot be paid online. Please contact your local police department or sheriff's office for information on local fee payment policies.
- Fee exemption applies only to the initial license application. All duplicate licenses incur a fee of $20.
- The online payment service is provided through a partnership between the State of Indiana and its online service provider. A processing fee of $1 plus 2% of the transaction amount is added to the price of the service, as outlined in Indiana Code 4-13.1-2-4. For applicants who do not want to use the online service, the applicant will need to bring a certified check or money order to the Indiana State Police Firearms Unit located in Indianapolis Indiana at General Headquarters. The address is 100 N Senate Avenue, Indiana Government Center North Room 302